Subhan Nadeem has pointed out that:
If every transaction in the Bitcoin network was a SegWit transaction today, blocks would contain up to 8,000 transactions, and the 138,000 unconfirmed transaction backlog would disappear instantly. Transaction fees would be almost non-existent once again.
A few thousand bitcoin users from /r/Bitcoin switching to making their next transactions Segwit transactions will help take pressure off the network now, and together we can encourage exchanges/wallets to rapidly deploy Segwit for everyone ASAP. Let's make it happen.
Exchanges: Find out if your exchange has deployed Segwit already. If not, politely request that they do so within 30-days or they will lose your business. Sign-up for an account with a Segwit deployed/ready exchange now
- Bitstamp (deployed)
Full list: https://bitcoincore.org/en/segwit_adoption/
Wallets: Make sure you have a Segwit capable wallet installed and ready to use for your next bitcoin transaction
- Ledger Nano S
- Edge (AirBitz rebranded)
- Samourai Wallet
If I'm a HODLer, will it help to send my BTC to a Segwit address now?
- No, just get ready now so that your NEXT transaction will be to a Segwit wallet.
Can you please tell me how to move my bitcoins to segwit address in Bitcoin core wallet? Does the sender or receiver matter?
The Bitcoin core wallet does not yet have a GUI for its Segwit functionality. Download Electrum v3.0.3 to generate a Segwit address.
A transaction between two SegWit addresses is a SegWit transaction.
A transaction sent from a SegWit address to a non-SegWit address is a SegWit transaction.
A transaction sent from a non-SegWit address to a SegWit address is NOT a SegWit transaction. You can send a Segwit Tx if the sending address is a Segwit address.
Is there a hardware wallet that does segwit addresses?
- Yes, Trezor supports Segwit by default. Ledger Nano also has support.
What wallet are you using to "batch your sends"? And how can I do that?
Using Electrum, the "Tools" menu option: "Pay to many".
Just enter your receive addresses and the amounts for each, and you can send multiple transactions for nearly the price of one.
Segwit blog guides
- TheWalletGenius.com – Understanding Segwit
- HowToToken.com – How To Send Bitcoin Faster And Cheaper Over SegWit Transactions
Previous Day's Threads
- Day 1: If every Bitcoin tx was a SegWit tx today, we'd have 8,000 tx blocks & the tx backlog would disappear. Tx fees would be almost non-existent once again. THE NEXT BITCOIN TX YOU MAKE, MAKE IT A SEGWIT TX. DOWNLOAD A SEGWIT COMPATIBLE WALLET AND OPEN A SEGWIT COMPATIBLE EXCHANGE ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW
Edit: added FAQ's to the list, corrections